About the Program
In response to an overwhelming demand for Psychiatric Nurses throughout British Columbia, particularly outside the large urban centres, Stenberg College has offered its online-based Psychiatric Nursing diploma program since 2006. The only program of its kind in Canada, this innovative program allows students to do the majority of their coursework as well as their clinical placements and practicum in their local communities.
Theory is instructor-led in a guided online learning platform. Online learning combined with regional clinical placements allow you to pursue your education in your home community.
You will be taught by working Nurse Educators who are committed to your success. This program is recognized by the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM), and the curriculum focuses on the competencies that are required to successfully complete the Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Canada Examination (RPNCE). Nursing abilities are based in seven categories: 1. therapeutic relationships and therapeutic use of self, 2. evidence-informed knowledge, 3. collaborative practice, 4. Advocacy, 5. quality care and client safety, 6. health promotion, and 7. ethical, professional, and legal and responsibilities. The client is the person central to all nursing practice.
To learn more about the entry-level competencies of RPNs, click here.
Applicants for the Psychiatric Nursing program must first complete the following:
- Attend an information session via teleconference
- Submit an application form
- Successfully complete the online entrance essay assignment/assessment
- Provide an up-to-date resume
- Provide 2 professional references (must be signed and dated with contact info)
*If English is a Second Language, you will be required to pass one of Stenberg College’s recognized Language Proficiency Assessments (IELTS or CELBAN).
- Grade 12 English (minimum grade B)*
- Grade 12 Biology (minimum grade C)
- Grade 11 Math (Principles, Foundations or Pre-calculus) (minimum grade C)
- Acceptable Criminal Record Review with Vulnerable Sector Check by the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
Additional Pre-requisites (under 19 years):
- Graduation from grade 12 with a C+ average
- Grade 10 Science (minimum grade C)
For LPN Access to the Psychiatric Nursing program:
- Copy of current licensing as a Practical Nurse
- Proof of the equivalent of 2 years full-time (3,600 hrs) work experience as an LPN
- Official, sealed copy of LPN program transcripts
*Entrance requirements can be met with evidence of alternate assessments such as Challenge Exams, or acceptable standardized English equivalency tests as per the Stenberg College Language Proficiency chart. Evidence of Post-Secondary studies at an equivalent level where English was the first language is acceptable.
As there are limited seats available in each region, admission is given to the most qualified candidates, with preference given to those with work or volunteer experience in a health-related field. You must submit written proof with confirmation of hours completed from the volunteer organization or employer. Students with post-secondary education in any field are also encouraged to submit original transcripts of the highest credential completed. These must be original transcripts sent directly from the educational institute to us. All documents should be submitted with the rest of the application package. Upon submission, applicants may require an individual interview.