27 weeks incl. 8 weeks of practicum
Duration for International Students:
49 weeks, incl. 10 weeks of co-op (not required for registration to practice)
January and June
$23.63/hr average (according to Indeed.ca)
About the Program
Health Care Assistants (HCAs) have a fulfilling career. They support older adults to maintain a level of independence by helping them meet their basic needs. In this 27-week program, you will learn from industry professionals and gain an insight into your future workplace through an 8-week practicum placement.
This career is for you if you:
- Are a compassionate individual
- Have a sincere interest in helping others
- Would like to work in a hospital or residential care setting
- Can imagine yourself helping the elderly to meet their basic needs, such as getting out of bed, eating, and showering
- Grade 12 graduation or 19 years of age
- Passing Stenberg College entrance examination and interview
- Passing English Language Competency Requirements* Or English 10 or equivalent (for native speakers of English)**
- Acceptable Criminal Record Review with Vulnerable Sector Check by the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- Letter of good health completed by a physician
- TB Screening Results
- Flu vaccination as required by industry
- Additional site specific orientation/training may be required
*Entrance requirements can be met with evidence of alternate assessments such as Challenge Exams, or acceptable standardized English equivalency tests as per the Stenberg College Language Proficiency chart. Evidence of Post-Secondary studies at an equivalent level where English was the first language is acceptable.
** English Language Competency Requirements met as per the BC Care Aide Registry for Non-Native English Speakers
Financing Your Education
You could be eligible for ELMS funding, government student loans and other financing options; the Stenberg College Financial Aid Officer would be happy to provide further assistance.