About the Program
Whether you take the Education Assistant program in-class or online at Stenberg College, the content and learning outcomes are identical.
Unlike most post-secondary programs, classes at Stenberg are small, allowing instructors to be more attentive to your needs and build relationships with you. The instructors are committed to your success and ensure you’re comprehending the material and keeping up.
Something that sets our program apart is the inclusion of two certifications from the Provincial Outreach Program for Autism and Related Disorders (POPARD):
- Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Applied Behaviour Analysis
These certifications better prepare you for the career and to provide the support that students with exceptionalities deserve. They also make you more competitive for hiring.
Ultimately, it is the integration of theory and practice, particularly during eight weeks of practicum in elementary and/or high schools, that will prepare you to become an effective EA. During the program, you will constantly apply practice to theory as you consider and respond to practical questions and theoretical situations. Not only does this make your understanding of concepts and theories less abstract, but it prepares you for your practicum placement(s) at the end of the program.
100% of our Education Assistant graduates are employed within six months of program completion.
- Completion of grade 12 or equivalent, or mature student status*
- Completion of English 12 or equivalent
- Passing Stenberg College math examination or equivalent*
- Passing verbal test if English is an additional language or equivalent*
- Completion of a criminal record consent form under the Criminal Record Review Act
* Entrance requirements can be met with evidence of alternate assessments such as challenge exams, or acceptable standardized English equivalency tests as per the Stenberg College language proficiency chart. Evidence of post-secondary studies at an equivalent level where English was the first language is acceptable.
Program Advisors will work with students to obtain the following:
- Proof of 50 hours of volunteer or paid experience working with children (this requirement can be met while parenting own children)
- Reference letter stating suitability to work with children