About the Program
Our combined delivery Pharmacy Technician program has been granted full accreditation by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP). Only graduates from programs accredited by CCAPP are eligible for the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada certification process, the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia registration process, and the Jurisprudence Examination.
This program at Stenberg College is designed to prepare students for Pharmacy Technician positions in community or hospital pharmacies. In our combined delivery program, instructors facilitate learning in an interactive online environment. Hands-on skills are developed in the lab setting and clinical competencies are mastered at affiliated clinical partner sites (hospitals and community pharmacies). This delivery allows students to pursue the majority of their program in their home communities, with travel/relocation required only for short periods of time to complete program orientation, two four-week lab blocks, and clinical requirements.
It’s Stenberg College’s mission to offer an exceptional career-oriented Pharmacy Technician Program with a goal to prepare graduates who:
- Demonstrate the knowledge base, skills, and attitudes consistent with industry expectations for entry-level employment. Graduates will be able to meet competency requirements set out by the National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA).
- Successfully complete the Structured Practical Training (SPT) and regulated licensing exams required to become a Registered Pharmacy Technician, and qualify for registration with the College of Pharmacists in their province within 12 months of program completion.
- Grade 12 graduation
- English 12 (minimum grade C) or equivalent*
- Biology 12 or an acceptable Human Anatomy and Physiology Course (minimum grade C) or equivalent*
- Math 11 (Principles or Foundations) or Applications of Math 12 (minimum grade C) or equivalent*
- Grade 11 Chemistry (minimum Grade C) or equivalent*
- Typing speed of 35 words per minute
* Entrance requirements can be met with evidence of alternate assessments such as challenge exams, or acceptable standardized English equivalency tests as per the Stenberg College language proficiency chart.
** English Language Proficiency Requirements met through standardized tests as defined by NAPRA for Non-Native English Speakers, and internationally educated applicants.
Please note: Applicants must have acceptable levels of manual dexterity, hand strength and the ability to work while standing and walking for long periods. Severe latex allergies may be a problem.